Monday, February 11, 2008

Welcome to the Birth of Craziness

First post. Wow, this is long over due. Where do I begin? Well…

2007 was such a crazy year for me – in so many more ways than I have time to write in this post. No matter though. If you’re reading this, chances are that you were there alongside me through the tough times as well as the emotional highs. Thanks. You rock.

Some notable accomplishments last year were my very first triathlon – I did three actually, with the largest being the Bassman Half Ironman (1.2 mile swim, 56 mile bike, 13.1 mile run) – and my first marathon. What makes these events even more “notable” for me is that in January 2007, I had never run more than 6 miles at once. Yeah, crazy huh? When people hear this, the conversation typically goes a little like:

Person Who Thinks I’m Crazy: “You must've had some sort of epiphany or conjured some ludicrous reason to wanna embark on a journey like this, huh?”

Me: “No reason. Just started running one day and never stopped. Sorta like Forest Gump.”

(But in life there are always reasons. For everything.)

The real point of this blog though is to journal my daunting voyage through the 2008 athletic season and beyond! New year, new set of insane goals – the most insane of which is the Ironman Switzerland triathlon in Zurich (hence the blog name), a race that incorporates a 2.4 mile swim, 112 mile bike, and a 26.2 mile run in one event. July 13th, baby. My parents have asked me to go see a shrink, but I told them I’d rather use the money on some nice race wheels for my bike. The latter is a much better long term investment.

Thanks for all your support and prayers throughout last year. I won’t let you down in 2008.

Rock on!

Ton

No comments: